An Easy Preserved Lemon Recipe and How to Use Them
This easy preserved lemon recipe is a great addition to many recipes. It can sometimes be difficult to find in stores, but it is so incredibly easy to make. It will also last in your fridge for up to 6 months. I use this ingredient often in my Moroccan Lemon Chicken recipe, but it has a handful of other great uses.
I was first introduced to this ingredient when I started learning Moroccan recipes from my family. Since then, I use this preserved lemon recipe a few times a year and always keep a jar in my fridge to have on hand. They are a great enhancement to so many dishes and once you begin using them, you”ll never use a regular lemon in your cooking again!
What are preserved lemons and why should you use them?
Preserved lemons are a traditional ingredient used in a lot of middle eastern cooking. The preservation process gets rid of the bitter taste caused by the lemon rinds. They really add an incredible zesty flavor to dishes and sauces because it makes the entire lemon completely edible. Typically when you put lemon in a dish, you remove the lemon before eating. In the case of using preserved lemons, you eat them in their entirety. It’s nice to have a little piece in each bite.
How to cook with preserved lemons and preserved lemons uses
There are a handful of dishes that really shine with this preserved lemon recipe. Here are a few you can experiment with.
- Roast Chicken: Try adding them underneath the skin prior to baking.
- Fresh Fish: These can be used in the center of a whole fish when baking along with other herbs such as basil.
- Preserved lemons are an amazing addition to recipes such as chicken piccata
- As a garnish: if you’re making a recipe with salmon, for example, you can place a few slices of preserved lemon over the top before serving. What is nice about using preserved lemons as a garnish instead of a regular lemon slice, is that the entire lemon can be eaten. Since they are preserved with salt, they also add a nice salty zesty punch of flavor.
- Use in sauces: In any sauce that calls for lemon juice, you can finely chop the rind of a preserved lemon and add it to your sauce. It will really enhance the flavor.
- Dressings: if you often make your own dressings at home I highly recommend adding 1/4 teaspoon of finely chopped preserved lemon rind.
Easy Preserved Lemon Recipe with 3 Simple Ingredients
Below is my easy preserved lemon recipe which uses only 3 simple ingredients. They are sliced organic lemons, salt, and fresh lemon juice. I always prefer to use pink Himalayan salt as the one found here at Trader Joes. I have not used regular table salt in over 6 years.
Benefits of using Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt benefits are abundant and they persuaded me years ago to get rid of my standard iodized table salt. Since then I have not looked back. Using Pink Himalayan Sea Salt will actually improve the flavor of your dishes, in addition to its many health benefits. Below is a list of some of the many Pink Himalayan Sea Salt benefits that might persuade you as well!
- rich in mineral content
- lower in sodium
- helps aid in hydration
- can help prevent acid reflux
- aide in muscle cramping
- improve metabolism
- increase bone strength
- lower blood pressure
- assist in the absorption of nutrients in the intestines
- improve circulation
- free of additives and minimally processed
- can also improve skin and aid in sore muscles when used in baths
Preserved Lemon Recipe
- 3 tbsp Sea Salt I prefer pink Himalayan
- ¾ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 whole lemons organic
- Add 3 tbsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to a Mason JarSlice 2 organic lemons and layer them inside your Mason JarFreshly squeeze about 5 lemons and pour inside mason jar until the lemon juice is covering the top of the lemons, be sure to leave a small amount of space at the top.Close the lid and turn the jar upside down several times to mix the saltThe lemons will be preserved after about 1 week and you can leave them in your fridge for up to 6 months
Have you used preserved lemons in your cooking? Have you found more uses for including preserved lemons in your recipe? Please comment below, I would love to hear your feedback!
VIEW MORE RECIPES