This Creamed Kale Recipe is the Healthier Alternative to Creamed Spinach
This Tuscan Creamed Kale recipe is the perfect healthier alternative to creamed spinach. During Christmas, I always serve an English Prime Rib dinner with all the fixings. After such a heavy Thanksgiving, I’ve found ways over the years to make healthier versions of traditional side dishes. In fact, I would say it is my specialty and something I’ve become exceptionally good at.
Now, don’t think that making a healthier alternative to creamed spinach means you’ll be sacrificing taste. I would go as far as to say that many of my side dishes taste even better than their original counterparts. Heavy cream does not necessarily equate to delicious. Sometimes it is actually the complete opposite. There comes a point when too many rich and heavy dishes can often leave you feeling bloated and a little ill. For this reason, I’ve tried to take a more farm to table approach to my cooking. I am all about reducing as many calories while retaining all the flavor.
Don’t think that making a healthier alternative to creamed spinach means you’ll be sacrificing taste.
This Creamed Kale recipe is a fantastic alternative to creamed spinach. The kale adds a wonderful layer of texture that spinach lacks. I’ve never been a fan of the sliminess of cooked spinach and have always preferred the texture of kale instead. After serving this dish, I wouldn’t be surprised if you get asked for the recipe. The best part is it uses no heavy cream and instead uses cornstarch as a thickener. This results in a fabulous silky, creamy sauce with half the calories of recipes that use heavy cream.
Healthy Tuscan Creamed Kale Recipe
- 2 whole shallots chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 cups Tuscan Kale 4 bushels chopped
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- First devein and rip or chop your kale. Then, chop garlic cloves and shallots. Add butter to your pan on medium heat until butter is no longer foaming. Add chopped garlic and shallots until lightly golden and begin adding handfuls of kale. Stir continuously until all Kale is sautéed and cooked down. Add salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Take off heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 1/2 cup milk, slowly adding in 2tbsp of corn starch until completely combines. Add the other 1.5 cups of milk into a pot on medium to medium low heat. Do not let milk boil. Once warm, add in the milk and cornstarch mixture. Continue whisking and heating on medium low heat for about 5 minutes until milk begins to thicken. Add in 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan and another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once thickened, add the milk to your sautéed kale and stir until completely incorporated and thickened. Then add to your serving dish and top with the remainder of grated parmesan and serve. You can also pre-make this side dish and heat it in the over at 350 for about 10 minutes to serve the next day.
Have you made this recipe? I would love to hear your thoughts and am always looking for ways to improve upon my recipes. I make this every year during the holidays and still think its better than creamed spinach made with heavy cream.
VIEW MORE RECIPES