I am so excited to introduce a brand new section to our site which will feature great recipes from the chefs at some of our favorite restaurants. This week we met with Chef Ellis from Jimmy’s Famous Tavern to learn how to make his delicious Wine Country Salad. With seasonal apples, dried cranberries, pecans, and blue cheese crumble this is the perfect fall salad to say farewell to the summer.
If you’ve been following Cuisine & Travel, then you likely already know how much we love Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern. Their food brings a traditional twist to southern favorites like fried chicken and tasty BBQ selections. In addition to JFAT, Chef Ellis has a long list of wonderful cuisine under his belt. He has worked with celebrated chef Thomas Keller at Bouchon and worked on large-scale productions such as the Grammy’s with Wolfgang Puck. In a short time, Chef Ellis has worked his way up to Executive Chef collaborating with David Wilhelm to help create and develop a menu that guests can enjoy time and time again.
The Wine Country Salad is a farewell to summer, as the heat starts to leave us and things cool down. The crisp Fuji apple has a nice sweet finish without being overly dry at the end to help compliment the tart and creaminess of the blue cheese. With the dried cranberries and pecans to help balance the nutty and sweet. All this to only complement the chicken breast that is brined with fresh herbs and garlic. To round off the palate, the cornbread croutons offer a mellow heat that warrants bite after bite. Let’s also not forget the bits of freshly cooked bacon sprinkled on to surprise that savory side. Plus what is a salad without a bit of bacon? As the weather changes each bite changes adding colors of Autumn into the lush mixed greens.
We know you”ll enjoy this perfect fall salad recipe as much as we have!
Wine Country Salad Recipe from Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern’s Executive Chef
- 2.5 oz. Sherry Vinaigrette
- 5 oz. Mixed Greens
- 1 ea. 8 oz Chicken Breast Grilled, Cut into 1” pieces
- 4 ea. Red Onion slices 1/8”
- 1 oz. Dried Cranberries
- 1 Tbs Bacon chopped
- 7-8 ea. Candied Pecans
- 2 oz. Blue Cheese Coarsely crumbled
- 1/2 ea. Fuji Apple cored and held in lemon water
- 4-5 ea. Cornbread Croutons warm
- In a medium mixing bowl place sherry vinaigrette then add greens, cut apple into six wedges, and half of the cranberries, blue cheese, bacon, and pecans. Toss salad to coat well then stack in large bowl. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, nuts and cranberries. Arrange croutons around perimeter of salad.